Wild Bill

I've used the handheld deburring tools for years, and they're great for most
tasks, but the internal edges of holes in tubing are a little too complex to
allow them to be very effective.
I can't help but wonder (about well, lots of things), if a spinning wire
brush wouldn't clean up the holes nicely. Check with Tom at Ohio Brush for
the availability of different bristle materials and sizes.
This would be relatively severe duty for the longevity of the brush, so
cheap imported retail store brushes wouldn't provide good results.
This would be a second operation, but a brush (those spiraled tube brushes)
mounted in a spinning drill press chuck and poked into the drilled holes,
would probably do a good job of deburring, and possibly add a small radius
to the edges of the holes in aluminum tubing.

Ideally, you'd want to drill the holes with a method to minimize the
break-through burrs if at all possible.
Steel or SS bristles would probably clean the holes fairly efficiently. I
would think that poking the brush into the holes would be more effective
than running it thru the length of the tube.

If I were confronted with this problem in *steel* tubing, I'd probably use a
Dremel stone or sanding drum, but if a miniature flap wheel was available,
that'd probably work better.

WB

"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
Back when I was a practicing Mfg. Eng. at Solar Turbines I did extensive
research into deburring the inside hole made in tubing. I failed to find
anything really earth-shaking.

I'm faced with the problem again in advising a client of mine on how to
deburr the 15 holes he is drilling in 1" od aluminum tubing to create his
telescopic affair for his cargo net for pickup trucks. He bought a neat
deburring tool from McMaster, on my recommendation, and is using it quite
well, but his hand and wrist gets tired after about the 100th hole. He

does
not want to follow the logical step in taking the work to Mexico or China.
He wants his product to be made in the USA.

Any burr left on the inside of the tube screws up the easy telescoping
movement and scratches the inner tube as well.

Anybody have any proven success with this kind of problem?

I told him this is one reason so many manufacturers have gone to Mexico or
China because deburring is really one of those pesky problems requiring
human hands. Of course he could do the work on a CNC machine and maybe we
could find a shop to do it but the cost is going to be enormous when he is
only dealing with a thousand holes a month. Now.

Wayne