Martin Whybrow

"Carl Ijames" wrote in message
news:_kBJd.19098$IP6.4450@trnddc05...
I am boiling down "lye water" filtered through wood ashes in a
stainless steel pot. (MWC). Potassium Hydroxide in solution with
water
of 1.2 S.G. is what I seek.

No problem, I have done it many times before. Soap making is the
ultimate goal. (historical re-enactment)

My question is: Why does the pot on the stove bang, and want to
make louder bangs as it comes to a boil? I have to simmer the pot to
boil to avoid what seems ...kaboom

My guess is S.G. Specific Gravity...but sal****er heavy does not
bang
like this.

Yes, S.G. should be specific gravity. As for the banging, I think you
need some nucleation sites to get a nice smooth boil, with lots of small
bubbles forming in lots of places, instead of one giant bubble every so
often like you get now. Try adding a few small sharp pieces of gravel,
say 1/4" diameter. The sharp edges and pockets give nice surfaces for
bubbles to form at, which is why chemists call these "boiling stones"
:-). Broken unglazed ceramic chips or granite would probably be best.
Avoid marble in your lye solution as it will get eaten.

Sorry to quibble, but marble (and limestone) will not be eaten by lye; lye
is alkaline, so is sodium carbonate in all its forms; it will, however,
dissolve in an acid solution.
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net