Prometheus

On 24 Jan 2005 06:50:52 -0800, wrote:

I just had a workshop (14*21 w/ hi ceilings) built that is attached to
the back of my garage. Walls and ceiling are insulated with drywall
attached. The concrete floor is 8 inches thick. I have heat in the
workshop. Now I need to cover the cement slab with something that is
easy, quick and inexpensive, but will help prevent the cold from coming
thru the floor. The workshop will be used for all kinds of projects,
but specifically wood-related projects. I am thinking about putting
down a grid of 2x4's, then filling in with styrofoam insulation and
then covering with plywood or equivalent (plywood is expensive). how
thick should the plywood be and do I need anything on top of it or can
I use it as is. thanks for any ideas.

I'm a big fan of VCT for shop floors. The cheaper stuff is as
inexpensive as $.12 a square foot, and is as durable as floorcovering
gets (unless you've got the money for terrazo, but then you can afford
in-floor heat) You could just lay down some plastic as a moisture
barrier, use 3/4" ply, and attach the VCT to that. Or you can just
put the stuff directly on the concrete. If you're not familiar with
VCT, it stands for Vinyl composition tile, and it's the stuff they
usually use to cover the floors of public buildings like stores. The
stuff I've used is sold under the trade names "Durock" and "Azrock",
and is made by Armstrong, IIRC. Won't rip like linoleum does, and is
cheaper by a long shot.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam