Mike

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:26:28 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I didn't see anywhere in this thread whether the bulbs were 240

volt
or low voltage (12V ?)

In this context 240V *is* low voltage (LV), 12V would be classed as
extra low voltage (ELV)

Hmm. Regardless of power transmission jargon or whatever, LV means to

most
its safe to a human. And 230v most certainly isn't. 50 volts used to be
the accepted maximum - although I notice my Fluke meter puts up a

warning
flag at 30.

UL (Underwriters Labs), the people who certify mains power supplies in

most
equipment, define the safe limit as 42volts

Not in the UK though.

UL is the main body recognised worldwide to make such definitions.
What is different in the UK ?

In any case the IEC regs would override the UK ones even if they were
different.