Andy Hill

Every now and again, I'll fill a 5-gallon bucket with a 1 part bleach
to 9 parts water solution of bleach water to sterilize things around
the backyard like bird feeders and stuff. My question is how to dispose
of the bleach water afterwards? Do I schlepp it into the house and
pour it down the toilet or kitchen sink? Is it safe to pour on the
ground? I garden organically, and the last thing I want to do is ruin
the ecosystem I've created with bleach water.

It's not like Sodium Hypochlorite is all that nasty...once it gets done reacting
with stuff, you've basically got a weak solution of table salt left over.

As long as there isn't a lot of solid crud (enough to clog a drain) in the
bucket, just dumping down the drain is fine -- that's where the bleach water
from the washer goes, after all.

Dumping on the lawn works fine, too -- just dilute it well (run the ol' hose in
the bucket for ten minutes or so).