mac

Thanks.........the Hughes HD receiver seems interesting. And to Leo....your
sentiments simuliar to mine.
Tanks to all.

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
Look on ebay for a used Hughes HD satellite receiver. You might find one
cheap that is not working as a satellite receiver. They have lots of
problems with the satellite tuners but the OTA tuner seems pretty
reliable.
I have one in my shop that I use just for OTA reception.

Leonard

"mac" wrote in message
Sounds good except for the price of $375........Thanks, but for now I

really
can't afford anything near that
much. It will be a big shock if the public has to pay even 1/4 that much

use their old tv's in 2006 when
all tv stations are scheduled to broadcast in only digital format, as I
understand it. I could be wrong, but
I don't think the public is that close to being ready for it, unless
converter boxes come down drastically
from the above price, so that the tv s most people are using now will

pick
up the digital broadcast.

"Phil Bowser" wrote in message
I use an RCA ATSC21 Set-top box with excellent results. I get over

15
freeze-free channels plus some not-so-strong... (I DO have to turn the
antenna) and that doesn't even include the subchannels - most DTV

stations
are simulcasting several channesl in their digital transport stream.
Street
price 6 mo. ago when I purch. was abt. $375, probably less now...
Basically, I can get all the major networks anytime I want - including
NBC,
ABC, FOX, CBS, UPN, WB, PBS, and some independents...I was able to

compare
an older Panasonic, and an older RCA DTC100 Settop box with a built-in
Directv receiver, and the ATSC21 outperformed them both by far. It
handles
multipath the best of any I've seen, and is at least 6db more
sensitive
than the 1999 model Panasonic (but then so are most newer STBs...)
I've
also heard Samsung's TU-151 is a good unit, but have no personal
experience
with it. (Also, I think I omitted some characters from the Samsung's

model
number...) Zenith / LG electronics has a good one, too I hear... Hope
this
helps.

"mac" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me of a low cost way to get digital tv on analog tvs.
Cable
is not available in my area and I don't
know where I can get a low cost converter. Thanks, Mac