Dave Mundt

Greetings and salutations....

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:07:57 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:44:44 GMT, Ted
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote:

"Dave Mundt" wrote
Greetings and Salutations....

*snip*

A pedant should not misspell "masturbation".

A very valid point....Alas, I have always
had a problem with vowels. Apparently I tend to
think that as long as I have a vowel in the
correct location, exactly WHICH vowel is less
important.
FWIW, I have had this problem for
most of my life...made it really interesting to
see my essay book in college english.

BTW, the OED disagrees with you, and I'm afraid to have to say that I'm on its
side.

Your definition of the term is a perfectly valid *alternative* definition, but
not the primary one.
Despite its origin, the meaning nowadays is as I used it.

(Last time I'll try to be discreet in a newsgroup.)

--
Jeff R.

Hum....I will have to poke around and see what the OED
quotes as a source....and, I will have to give the point
that one or the other is still "spilling one's seed on the ground",
so while it might be a bit of a stretch, it is probably as
accurate as most of the REST of the English language

You missed his misspelling of "semen" as well. Maybe writing about this
makes Dave nervous.

LOL...can't take the hit for THIS one....I did a cut and paste
from the copy of the "online Bible" I have on the system. The
version IT provides is the 1769 Authorized Version, so, that might
explain why there is that vowel difference.
Hum...it occurs to me that perhaps I could ascribe my
problems with vowels to being from the 16th century...*smile*.

Ted

Maybe the hair on his palms makes it hard to type. Not that I would
know, of course...
ERS

Hey, Hey, I shave regularly....and getting between the
fingers is a REAL pain in the butt.
G,D,R
Dave Mundt