Wayne Lundberg

Thank you Eric! I am forwarding this to my client.

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:50:41 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
wrote:

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Wayne Lundberg" wrote in message
| Back when I was a practicing Mfg. Eng. at Solar Turbines I did

extensive
| research into deburring the inside hole made in tubing. I failed to

find
| anything really earth-shaking.
|
| I'm faced with the problem again in advising a client of mine on how

| deburr the 15 holes he is drilling in 1" od aluminum tubing

SNIP

Cogsdill deburring tool. It's a hollow rod that you chuck into your

drill
motor. Near the end it has a slot with a "tooth" sticking out the side

and
by adjusting the set screw in that end you adjust the spring providing
tension on the tooth. You simply push it in and out of the hole while
spinning the drill and depending on the tension you set, rotation

speed,
and
how long you linger the hole will be deburred, and if you let it work

too
long you even get a chamfer. The tooth moves out of the way while

inside
the hole. Very cool tool.

Get 'em on ebay or do a search on the web for sellers. I love using

these
things, but they take some getting used to because there are three

variables
that control how much gets cut off. I don't think that for your

client's
application it will be a big deal, but for mine, a chamfer on the back

of
close tolerance hole is a very bad thing.

This looks interesting. I will pursuie through the Cogsdill site even

though
my first blush is that a quarter inch dia hole is too small for their
tooling.

Wayne

Greetings Wayne,
I use the Cogsdill tools a lot. One brand of their tooling is called
"Burraway" These tools go as small as .078". And they are adjustable
for pressure. Because of the way they work they will follow the edge
of a hole drilled in a cylinder-which is exactly what you want. For a
1/4" hole go to www.mscdirect.com and look at part number 05755129.
That's the MSC part number. The price is 50 bucks and well worth it.
Replacement blades are available if yours get dull. Also, the leading
cutting edge can be rounded off if you just want to deburr the
inside. So your best route will be to drill a hole with as small a
burr as possible and then use the Burraway tool. You can make a setup
where the tube is laid into a slot in a piece of wood or plastic that
is centered under the spindle. Then use the quill to feed the
deburring tool in and out. This will give you great control and will
keep the hole centered.
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine