Eric R Snow

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:44:44 GMT, Ted
wrote:

"Jeff R." wrote:

"Dave Mundt" wrote
Greetings and Salutations....

Ned Simmons wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/starion.asp

"On the other hand, given that at the same time Mitsubishi brought out
the Starion they also introduced a model with the rather unfortunate
name of "Pajero" (a word which in Spanish is a slang term for someone
who enjoys pleasuring himself, prompting Mitsubishi to judiciously
rename the car the "Montero" in some markets), it's sometimes hard to
believe they don't operate this way."

Ned Simmons

Not to be overly pedantic, but, Onanism REALLY should not
refer to masterbation. In matter of fact, Onanism is premature
withdrawal during sex, to ensure that one's seman will not
be as likely to impregnate one's partner. It was, shall we say,
frowned upon by the powers that be. Here is the reference, from
Genesis 38

A pedant should not misspell "masturbation".
BTW, the OED disagrees with you, and I'm afraid to have to say that I'm on its
side.

Your definition of the term is a perfectly valid *alternative* definition, but
not the primary one.
Despite its origin, the meaning nowadays is as I used it.

(Last time I'll try to be discreet in a newsgroup.)

--
Jeff R.

You missed his misspelling of "semen" as well. Maybe writing about this
makes Dave nervous.

Ted

Maybe the hair on his palms makes it hard to type. Not that I would
know, of course...
ERS