On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:59:18 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

"Hansen" wrote in message
I have been getting horrid headaches after using my sander. Being from the
old school of thought, a respirator was what was used for painting,

solvents
etc... Is there a respirator out there that won't fog my glasses or be an
absolute pain in the face to wear? I am not thrilled about the thought in
the first place but it is better the the pain I get after a couple of

hours
of sanding. Any thoughts or comments???

Probably gritting your teeth.

However, unless the extractives in the wood you're sanding have a noticeable
odor, all you need is a dust mask and distance from the work. You can get
into problems if you get a mask which restricts airflow severely. We have
to go through lung function tests before we're certified for the HEPA masks
we wear as contagion prevention, and some are prohibited from using them.

I've got Bosch sanders with good dust recovery, and a downdraft (pegboard)
box for small stuff where the hoses get in the way.

If all you need is a dust mask, I'd suggest the Dustfoe 66. They do a
good job and they don't fog my glasses. About $25 from Woodcraft, etc.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.