Dan

On Sat 22 Jan 2005 08:28:52a, "Hansen" wrote in
:

I have been getting horrid headaches after using my sander. Being from
the old school of thought, a respirator was what was used for
painting, solvents etc... Is there a respirator out there that won't
fog my glasses or be an absolute pain in the face to wear? I am not
thrilled about the thought in the first place but it is better the
the pain I get after a couple of hours of sanding. Any thoughts or
comments???

EPI

I use a mid-line cannister-type respirator. It seals good and I bought
cannisters for dust and chemical fumes. SWMBO is a lot more sensitive to
that stuff than I am, so her experience is probably a better indicator;
for her there isn't any difference at all between those paper doctor's
masks and wearing nothing. She got headaches just as bad.

With the cannister type, she's fine. We clean 'em pretty regularly and
change the cannisters often. They're kinda bulky, and you look like
something out of a sci fi movie but they don't fog the glasses and with
those little claptrap valves for outgoing air, you can breathe much
easier than the paper ones. Especially if you change the cannisters
often. She wears hers when she trims the dogs' toenails with a little
dremel tool.

I bought mine at a safety supply place here in town so I'd have a ready
supply of cannisters. I see the Borg has some that look pretty much like
the ones we own, but I haven't tried them on to see how they feel. Ours
are nice and comfortable, and whatever they're made of, the seal stays
flexible and doesn't get all sweaty. I've forgotten mine was on a couple
times and got a surprise when I went to scratch my nose. :-)

Dan