Pedge

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
I've done wiring before in other rooms of the house which involved
wiring downlights + transformers. This obviously needed extra
wiring from the main supply into the room. Pretty simple if you
know what you're doing.

And possibly lethal if it turns out that the person isn't as
competent as they thought...

My only concern here is that if the live supply into the room is a
1.5mm cable can it be extended to the kitchen wall unit lighting
using a connection block and 1mm cable.

snip

Then you are not competent, think about it, can you vouch for all
your other work if you have failed to understand the basic theory ?

It's possible to simply copy exactly other similar wiring without
really understanding all the theory. I've been doing this for years.
;-)

The far more dangerous approach is the IMM technique of truly
believing he knows what he's talking about, but plainly doesn't.

I could just use 1.5mm like I did last time but as somebody gave me a
left over reel of 1mm cable i'm going to use this instead.

This 1mm cable will be used to power 3x 25watt kitchen wall unit
underlighting and a seperate 1mm cable will power 3x 50watt halogen
downlights. Both 1mm cables will be joined to the 1.5mm live current into
the room.

Kitchen unit lighting= 3 x 25w= 75w= 75w / 240v= 0.3125A
Halogen downlights= 3 x 50w= 150w / 240v= 0.625A

Total ampage = 0.9375 Amps

Cable load = 14 Amps

So in the above calculation it's ok.