Blackout

"ATP" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Big boys who make cheap fences powder coat, and use mechanical
fasteners. Field powdercoating is not very feasible. I have never heard
of anyone doing it. Big boys who make high end fences dont powdercoat-
its not a good longterm finish for outdoor metalwork. One of the
reasons is you cant touch it up, but there are others. Once rust starts
on powdercoating, and it can start if someone scratches the surface
accidentally or intentionally, it will cause the powder finish to peel
up like a bad sunburn.
Then, the only answer is to take the whole fence back down, put it in a
2500 degree burnout oven, then sandblast, then repaint.
I sometimes build very expensive fences. I either use hot dip
galvanizing, or stainless steel. I dont trust powder for exterior uses.

I have sent several powdercoaters kids to college on what I have paid
for finishing furniture, and other things to be used indoors, but I
dont use it outside. I just dont want the callbacks. Plus, some colors
will fade in the sun, and some powders will chalk up outdoors.
The truck liner paint is not a bad idea- that stuff is bulletproof.
Normal painting protocol for a fence would be
Sandblast
Prime twice
Finish coat with a very high quality enamel, or a two part epoxy
system.
Not sure what is still available in California. Many industrial
suppliers like Grainger may still sell industrial enamels, even though
you cant get it from home depot.

Check this stuff out:
http://www.si-coat.com/section_anti-corr/about.html

It's about $80 a gallon, but if it performs as promised, it's worth it's
weight in gold. I'm trying out a sample on some pretty brutal equipment
applications. They have some pretty big pipeline and tank jobs referenced.

they don't seem to mention where you can actually buy the product on the
website, do you have any more information on where to get it at?