geoman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Peter Wells wrote:

Duane,

Sorry if I appear a little punchy, too much coffee early in the morning
plus
the realization that I've paid multiple companies to get what should be a
basic piece of work done.

I'd demand a refund from the first if all the other did was what was
discussed here...that's inexcusable imo.

I haven't read all the posts, so If I'm out of line here please forgive me,
I erased all the posts off my computer prior to today's.

The last statement may be rash. You can't ask the previous companies to
refund your money unless they deliberately ripped you off or didn't know
what was wrong. Think about it for a moment. A service man/woman comes out
and does their best to solve your problems but just can't do it because this
is something that is out of the norm. Should he/she not be paid for their
time? You can only ask that someone does their best. You took time from
their life, and they proved what WASN'T the problem. Sometimes there are no
clear directives in a repair, its a trial and error situation. If the
customer doesn't like the odds of service then buy a new furnace which makes
your odds 100% winner.

A good example is you going to a doctor. You expect him to try to find out
what is wrong with you and perform every test possible and you don't intend
to pay them UNLESS you get cured?

There are times when I give customers a break, but before I change an
expensive part I ask them first and warn them that it may not be the
problem. Intermediate problems can really be troublesome.

Like I said, I'm not privy to the entire thread so this post may appear to
sound off the wall to the actual topic.

Now, a delayed ignition IS one of the hardest problems to solve for any
technician! You can do all the tests and then have living or atmospheric
conditions change as soon as you leave the site. If the draft is correct,
the gas pressure is good, then it most likely is the ignition system, burner
wear, transfer bar to light the other burners are plugged or rusted and need
replacement, or the exchanger itself has changed somehow with a coating etc
that causes the air not to scrub. A spider web in the orifices can create
these problems along with a small amount of dust in the burners. Like I
said, this is one of the hardest things to fix. I remember working on a
Trane furnace that we put in. We did everything to it and then Trane came
out with a burner replacement a year later that solved the problem. BUT
TRANE NEVER TOLD US or admitted that there was a problem!! How many tech's
out there got THEIR reputation harmed because of the factory?

Rich

Rich