Old Nick

On 21 Jan 2005 10:23:41 -0800, "
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

When you say "designing" do you want accurate drawings of the things,
or somethong that lets you see what it will look like, rendered with
pretty colours etc? Purists actually argue that nobody really works
off a 3d drawing except CNC stuff! G

For most drawing I use DeltaCad. 2D only. But it's so easy and basic
to use (and cheap at $49(?)) that it's as simple as paper, and more
accurate. Try the demo. You can of course draw plans, pieces and
views, but it does not do these for you. I have used it for Isometric
and Perspective "3d" views, but these required basic drafting skills,
and are not rotatable in 3-space or whatever. They are simply
"artist's impressions".

The beauty of the programme is that you can leave it for a week or two
and simply sit down and draw again. To give you an idea, support sux,
but I don't care! G

I have just ordered DesignCad 3d for other uses, after using up the
(too short) 15 day trial time. You can get this for around US$60, but
it will be US$85 if you are overseas (rrrgh!) In that 15 days, of
which I used maybe 8, or say 16 hours, I managed to get far enough
that I did not hate the programme, which is the best I have done with
3d packages in most cases.It's 3d drafting. It is as simple (as in
intuitive) and powerful a combination as any I have tried, and I have
not used any package except DeltaCad 2d enough to become "hide bound".
But immediately you get into 3d you get complexity. You have to. You
can work in 2d mode, or in any of the "views". But once you jump to 3d
it's a bit of a change of pace. It's magic to watch, but you need to
be on your toes a bit.

We shall see how I "sit down and draw" after I get the full programme.

The support forums by users and volunteer staff are excellent.

I've been woodworking for about 10 years now and have built many
projects using detailed plans. I've also done a few designs of my own.
I'm realizing that I need to learn how to produce detailed drawings of
my concepts to help avoid design mistakes midstream. Not to mention to
have something to show my wife what I'm building. Right now I just
have to describe it the best I can and then say "trust me, it will be
nice."

I looked into taking a drafting class at the local schools, but can't
seem to find a non-CAD drafting class (I want to start on paper). I
also found it difficult to find books on this subject as well. Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to teach myself designing on paper?
BTW, my drawing skills are somewhat lacking, so I need to start at the
basics here.