On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:53:27 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

What Tor said. Dad built a 1700 gal. tank out of 1/4" steel plate for
the crop duster spray truck. It had a 400 gal. mix tank on the back.
The top and bottom were rolled a little, sides and ends flat. He
welded baffles with holes in them fore and aft and each side. The old
International tandem drove fine with that thing on it, but we usually
filled it pretty full. We could fill from any canal or ditch with the
on-board pump (2-1/2" 4Hp. Kohler). Dad put about a 2' dia. hole with
rim in the top, with hinged lid.

Pete Keillor

What Pete and Tor said.
When I was in highschool, I worked at a boyscout camp. They had a 1948
fire truck. The baffles were all busted in the tank, so you had to
coast it to a stop. If you applied any brakes, you felt like you just
got rear ended by a Buick.

My ma was a typist for W.S. Darley (a municipal supply and fire truck
company) at the time. So the next year, we strong armed them into
donating a repair job to the Boyscouts. I got to drive the thing down
from Waupaca Wisc. to Chicago. That was fun.

Paul K. Dickman