Dundonald

nightjar wrote:
"Dundonald" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm in the process of clearing loft space for storage. The old

water
tank is being chopped up and removed. The existing floor boards

are
sparadic, some hang over half way between joists. So I intend to

cut
some of them back to the joists in a manner that I can then lay the
chipboard tongue and groove stuff.

I have so far cut the floor boards flush with the joists using my
jigsaw. I now need to cut the floor boards back to half way across

the
joist leaving room to lay the new chipboards.

It would be easier to screw a batten to the edge of the joist to

support the
chipboard. It is virtually certain that a significant number of the
floorboard nails will be just where you want to cut, to the

considerable
detriment of any tool you use to cut them.

Thanks Colin, this is a good suggestion. My only concern is if the
batten would be strong enough to take full bodyweight if one were to
stand and put full pressure on that end of the board.

I obviously have spare bits of floor board that I've cut so if I do
choose this method I could use pieces of them for the battens, though
they're not particularly wide.