Bob G.

On 21 Jan 2005 10:23:41 -0800, "
wrote:

I've been woodworking for about 10 years now and have built many
projects using detailed plans. I've also done a few designs of my own.
I'm realizing that I need to learn how to produce detailed drawings of
my concepts to help avoid design mistakes midstream. Not to mention to
have something to show my wife what I'm building. Right now I just
have to describe it the best I can and then say "trust me, it will be
nice."

I looked into taking a drafting class at the local schools, but can't
seem to find a non-CAD drafting class (I want to start on paper). I
also found it difficult to find books on this subject as well. Does
anyone have any suggestions on how to teach myself designing on paper?
BTW, my drawing skills are somewhat lacking, so I need to start at the
basics here.

====================
I am now in my 60's.... and I "learned".. woodworking from my Dad..
who was a draftsman ... BUT he never sat down and "drew" up a complete
set of plans in his life that I know of...

He did make rough sketches for a basic design all with correct
demensions etc and he did make enlarged sketches of some of the
joints...again with measurements....

I continue to use the same methods...I sure can not draw either
but to make something like a end table or chest of drawers or a desk
you really do not need to be an artist...

I will admit to a "few" screw ups.

Bob Griffiths.