Ken Grunke

EdFielder wrote:

Cadillac version bored the USA sleeve and turned the nut down and pressed
in and drilled for a set screw
25 minutes

Whatever kind of coffee you're drinking, it must be *really* good stuff.
Guess I'm kinda pokey, here's how long it might take me assuming the
4-jaw is already mounted (usually is), and I'm wide awake with a clear head:

3 min.--Chuck sleeve, rough-center by eye
3min.--center to .0005 hopefully, with indicator
2 min.--pilot drill to 1/4"
3 min.--drill through for clearance of tailstock screw
3 min.--mount and line up boring bar, set up carriage stop for depth of
hole to press nut into
5 min.--bore out short hole to whatever dia. I think the nut will be
turned down to
10 min--Unchuck sleeve, chuck a piece of threaded rod to hold nut for
turning, set the leadscrew tpi to the same thread so it can be indicated
and centered (that's if you have a quick-change gearbox, I don't so it
would take me twice as long)
2 min.--carefully measure bore in sleeve to determine OD of nut
3 min.--mount nut on threaded rod with washer to space it away from
chuck, put a toolbit on the compound
2 min.--rough turn nut, and mike it
2 min.--lock the cross-slide, make another cut within ten thou of final
size, mike it again
3 min.--make the final pass, do a little file work for an easier press
or shrink fit and hope you didn't take too much off
Shrink fit? you gotta heat the sleeve up, that will take a few minutes--
then just drop the nut in unless something goes wrong and it freezes
halfway in cockeyed. Press fit will be quicker, of course.
Getting close to an hour now, still haven't put the setscrew in but I
don't know why it's needed, so I'll skip it.
Oh yeah, gotta allow some time for rummaging for the right washer,
scratching my head, answering the phone, etc.

Ken Grunke

--
take da "ma" offa dot com fer eemayl