On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:07:44 GMT, Tony
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 21:40:54 -0500, Gerald Miller wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:08:45 GMT, Tony
wrote:

Open the chuck as wide as it goes. Look in, there should be a screw head
visible. The end of the motor shaft is tapped and threaded for this screw and
it MAY be left-handed threads. Once this screw is removed you can unscrew the
chuck from the drill. It should be right-hand thread.

Yes, I saw the screw-head. Unfortunately I do not have a 3/8" (or tad narrower)
straight-across driver blade that I can stick into the hole and turn it. I
tried it with a 1/4" blade but it won't budge a bit. Oh, well.

In all probability, this is a left hand thread.

Anyway, my time does not cost me anything (retired :-), and I want to have a
reasonable tool ready just in case I get a call to work on something in a
friend's house. Sure I do not want to bring my 5-speed drill press along, and
most work involves drilling on the wall.
Any suggestion as to what brand to buy in the same price range (about $40),
that are geared with good torque, variable speed and reversible?

Thanks
Tony

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Yes, the screw is a Left-hand thread!
There is also a small hole about 3/16" in the casting along the drill shaft,
that a nail can be put in to lock the drill shalf for chuck removal.
Now I got the Craftman chuck out, and I happened to have a cheapie 1-speed
Harbour Freight 3/8'" drill laying around. I switched the HF chuck into the
Craftman drill, and the runout is greatly improved, to the point that I can use
the Craftman drill in the drill press stand. Thanks to everyone, including
Gunner and Bugs for the sarcastic comments.
Seriously, if I want to have a "geared" (for torque) multi-speed reversible
hand drill, what would the group recommend?

Tony
---

I've got a Ryobi TorqueForce 220 (TFD220VR). It's just a 12 volt job,
but it has dual range gearing. 0-400 and 0-1300 RPM

I also have 2 Craftsman Proffessional drills - 0-600 RPM, 12 volt and
13.2. The craftsman controller seams to provide more torque at low
speeds than the Ryobi, but then again the Craftsman I am looking at
right now and comparing is the 13.2. The 12 volt one isn't here at the
moment.