Robin S.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

[...]

Thanks again. Just what I needed to know.
Two more questions: One, what do you mean by "good" grinding disks?
Just anything that's not from Home Wal Harbor Freight Depot Mart, or is
there a brand I need to hunt for?

Sait or United Abrasives (they are the same company but I cannot remember
what's on the label) and Makita are good names in grinding disks.

Two, in your description about the anvil welding you mentioned
filling pits with a TIG welder. I won't have access to a TIG machine,
so can I do this with stick or am I just going to have to live with any
pits? Could I use an OA torch instead?

It sounds like having a TIG welder would prevent you from having to grind
down a lot of material just to get rid of a couple of lingering pits.

To repair dies at work, or deal with part design changes, we frequently need
to weld up a die. After welding, the surface is machined and then hand
ground and stoned. On occation, this means several square feet of welded
surface. You typically want to make the job as easy as possible because
grinding is a slow process.

HTH.

Regards,

Robin