John Rumm

Pecanfan wrote:

If using a core drill, why not drill from the inside out?

'cause a) I'm nervous about the last bits of brick etc. hitting our
downstair's neighbour's window, which is directly under the hole and b) I

I tend to find there is no real breakout with a core drill - a large
lump of core should stay put in the end of the bit.

need to core a slightly bigger hole on the outside to take the lip of the
access bend.

Even if you do that you will still need to attack with a chisel to break
it away from the wall since it wont be going all the way through...

drill for a core much bigger than 4", my 780W Makita SDS only just coped
with that.

Think I've got the same drill as you - HR2450? Great piece of kit -
definitely my best buy last year :-). So far, this year's best buy is a ?4

Yup, that is the beastie, and very nice it is too ;-)

It is not so much a power issue (it has no trouble swinging the bit),
but unless you drill dead straight you find yourself right on the limit
of the torque limiter, which can make it difficult to get the bit
spinning at all. (back out a little and then use light pressure as you
ease back toward the coal face!). In some respects if you were going to
use the drill up a ladder then I would feel relatively safe with that
one since when it does snag, the clutch does a very good job of
insulating you from any kick.

--
Cheers,

John.