Ernie Leimkuhler

In article
, B.B.
u wrote:

In article ,
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

In article , Steve W.
wrote:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/anvil/anvil.html

He discusses hardfacing an anvil.

yes I do don't I.

Hey, Ernie, that was helpful, thanks! About how many sticks,

Think pounds.

Buy at least 10 lbs of rod
The stuff you want will be somewhere in the RC45-55 range.
That is Rockwell C Scale.
The hardfacing products will list that on the outside.
You never reach their maximum hardness with only one layer because of
diffusion with the base metal.
Don't worry about phrases like "low impact, high abrasion".
That is exactly what you want.
In the hardfacing biz "low impact" means only a 1000 lb chunk of rock.

grinding disks,

Many.
Buy good ones and use a really big grinder if you can, to speed things
up.
If you use 7" discs that are slightly cupped, it makes it much easier
to hold a flat surface.

and hours can I expect to go through on an anvil top
about 20 inches long and 4 inches wide?

All told about 10 - 12 hours of grinding.
Why do you think I stopped making anvils.
My back started to really hate those hours of grinding.

If you can find a grinding shop near you that has a "blanchard grinder"
then they can grind it flat for you.
That is a huge time, and back, saver.

I don't need to be accurate,
just enough I can go to my instructor and say, "I'll burn up about this
much time and space, is that OK?"