John Rumm

Pecanfan wrote:

I did this recently and found that the end of the elbow (or tee) needed
to start inside the wall to get the turn in the right place so that the
external pipe run can be clipped correctly.

Thought that might be the case - seems reasonable. Do you know roughly what
size hole that requires? Presumably 130mm or so?

Sounds about right, or maybe a tad more... I was fitting through an
exterior rendered stud wall (which is a pain to make holes through
because it starts out with mortar, then expanded metal lath, then ply,
then foam, the plasterboard - try finding a drill bit to go through that!)

I held the end of the elbow against the wall and drew round it. Used a
chisel on the SDS to cut round the outside of the line, tin snipped
through the lath, then used a 5" hole saw on the ply and the
plasterboard and foam. I actually found the 5" hole in the ply was still
a little too small and needed to attack it with a reciprocating saw. So
I would guess a 6" hole would see you clear. It does not need to be that
size all the way through BTW, because the elbow will only penetrate a
couple of inches into the wall.

--
Cheers,

John.