Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:17:01 GMT, the renowned pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Spehro Pefhany
wrote back on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:19:14
-0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:11:00 GMT, the renowned "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Autocad may not be for you. What do you need to do? Get a more basic CAD
software. You don't buy Autocad...you marry it! Try Autosketch or some
other entry-level software. If you're going to marry software, marry
"Solidworks"

What Tom said-- all of it. Autocad has a long history, and it shows in
the steep learning curve.

Arggh! Easy stuff has a short learning curve, hard stuff has a long
learning curve. Steep curve good! Steep curve means you grasp concepts
quickly! Arrgh!

Personal nitpick but a steep learning curve is a good thing! Visualize
a basic XY graph, with amount learned being Y, and time spent learning
being X.

A "steep" curve means that the amount of material learned (the y value)
goes up very rapidly for the amount of time expended (X). If you spend all
week studying something and still don't get it, you have a problem, and a
flat learning curve.

Yeah, we had a long discussion on this subject in alt.usage.english,
but the meaning is the meaning, silly as it may seem to you and me.
Except to those prescriptivist types, that is (baleful sideways
glance).

Turning on a CNC machine has a steep and "short" learning curve. In
terms of Autocad, "how do I get the program to run. Load, and click this
button." Done.
Mastering everything the program can do is a longer process, and the
learning curve is much flatter.

I know, I'm barking up the wrong tree, some things get stuck in the
public memory and reality has nothing to do with it. Lets just say I don't
have a short learning curve on this. :-)

Your gripe is noted, stamped in triplicate, and filed. ;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany