pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show
wrote back on Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:07:15 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

You're not gonna like this, but. . .

AFIK there is no easy way to learn Autocad. It is an inherently
un-simple program, both because of what it does and because of its
design. (Last time I looked the macro langauge for Autocad was a
version of LISP!) Almost no one really 'learns Autocad' in the way
that you learn, say, Excel. Instead most people become familar enough
with the features and add-ons they need to do a specific job or jobs
and ignore the rest of the program.

While some people have picked it up on their own, the usual way to
learn Autocad is to take a couple of courses in it. Even then you're
still on the learning curve for a couple of years and you never really
stop learning.

It's a professional's tool and learning it is a profession all its
own. Correspondingly it is extremely powerful and flexible, but that's
not much compensation when you're trying to get a handle on it.

At the tech college where I learned machining, Autocad was a one (maybe
two) year program all to itself.

All that to learn how to draw circles, squares and triangles :-).

--
pyotr filipivich.