Roger Hull

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:07:44 -0800, Tony wrote

Yes, the screw is a Left-hand thread!
There is also a small hole about 3/16" in the casting along the drill
shaft,
that a nail can be put in to lock the drill shalf for chuck removal.
Now I got the Craftman chuck out, and I happened to have a cheapie 1-speed
Harbour Freight 3/8'" drill laying around. I switched the HF chuck into the
Craftman drill, and the runout is greatly improved, to the point that I can
use
the Craftman drill in the drill press stand. Thanks to everyone, including
Gunner and Bugs for the sarcastic comments.
Seriously, if I want to have a "geared" (for torque) multi-speed reversible
hand drill, what would the group recommend?

Tony
---

In the Nov/Dec 2001 issue of Home Shop Machinist there is a good article on
overhauling a Jacobs chuck you might find interesting and useful.