Dev Null

Nick Hull wrote in
:

In article ,
Dev Null wrote:

The parts are leaves in a leaf shutter for a 500W high
pressure mercury lamp optical system. The leaves sort of look
like a sickle with a short, really fat blade.

I don't care about warping when the leaf is hot. I don't want
the leaf to remain warped when it cools. The normal operating
temp is probably 200F but if there is a focus problem the leaf
gets hot. If even one leaf gets warped the shutter will jam.
Which is bad.

Why don't you re-design the shutter so it only has 2 overlapping
pieces, sheets with a "V" notch to give you an adjustable square
opening. The pieces can be a lot thicker and there will be less
jamming and more ability to take the heat.

I'm trying to repair existing equipment so I have to go with what's
there. Vibration would be bad so I don't want to make heavy parts.
Also the exposure time (several seconds) is important so I want the
shutter to be fast.

We have the dichroic mirror too but I guess that only goes so far.

I can get the parts EDM'ed. I'm hacking together a dxf file for
this.

I found some Inconel 600A shim stock at McMaster Carr so I'm going
with that for now.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.