Tony

If a machine company sold me a replacement part cobbled out of taper sockets
and home depot hardware I'd throw it back at them.

FYI, Southbend lathes are capable of .0001 accuracy. Whats the runout on
your tailstock spindle if you bothered to test that. Don't tell me, there's
no runout on your taper socket stuffed into the end of a piece of bar stock.

Anyhow, why not just use a #3 morse reamer and bore & ream your own.

Tony

"yourname" wrote in message

1/2" 10 TPI LH acme nut for 1.26
Morse taper drill sleeve with 1" O.D. and MT 2 inside, hardened and

ground-
USA version 8.00 - Import Version 2.95
Bought 2 of the nuts and 1 each of the sleeves

Cheapie version- Used the Import piece and just welded the nut to the

end-
time to set up, center and weld- 5 minutes
Cadillac version bored the USA sleeve and turned the nut down and

pressed
in and drilled for a set screw
25 minutes
Milled the 1/8" slot in both units- another 10 minutes.

First, i agree, the guy has machines, shut up and make one. But:

How would you feel if you got this[your item] from south bend?

What no engraved depth markings? does the screw still push the tool out?

the ones in my catalog are only 4 inches long, a bit stumpy.

Conclusion A- for a guy fixing his old lathe he could do a quickie fix

that
works fine for 5.00 in parts and 10 minutes time.

Not true, above

For a " restorer type" he
could duplicate the original for about 10.00 in parts and 1/2 hour of

time.
Conclusion B- There is no reason that the South Bend parts people could

not
make these things and sell them for 30.00 each, just by examining the
problem and finding a simple solution

Again not true, It would take a couple hours to blank one, starting with
a piece of ground stock[not free] and countless hours screwing with the
taper to get it right. unless you do tapers all the time and your taper
attachment is all dialed in. i twould take me a couple hours to clena
the crap off of mine
As I said, I would bid at least twice SB price to make one and make
money. It is NOT a high price. Problem is SB lathes aren't worth 300

bucks.

Conclusion C- Utilizing the time spent by everyone on this board

yabbering
about the world economy we could have built 100 of these things.

Absolutely