Dr. Hardcrab

"SQLit" wrote in message
news:YhgHd.5933$Nu.555@fed1read04...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for a new HVAC system. I've noticed that the higher
SEER units jump dramatically in price going from 10 SEER to 12 to 14.
10-12 is an 85% increase. 12-14 is about %50 increase. I've also been
told that the 12+ SEERs have "variable" (valve can open/close to change
the pressure gradient) expansion valves. Lastly, these "variable"
expansion valves are prone to failure and frequent servicing.
Is this true

Goodman manufacturing maker of Amana and Goodman a/c products has been
lobbying the feds for years to reduce the 10 seer requirement. Sighting
among other things that people can not afford the newer higher efficiency
equipment. So far the feds have not moved from the 10 seer requirement.

Energy Department Will Enforce 13 SEER Air Conditioner Standard
Press Release / DOE 2apr04
[ More on SEER Ratings ]

WASHINGTON, DC - The Department of Energy (DOE) announced today that it will
enforce a 13 seasonal energy efficiency rating or "SEER" standard for
residential central air conditioners. This standard, which will apply to
central air conditioners starting in January 2006, increases by 30 percent
the SEER standard that applies to models sold today.

"At this point, all parties have had their day in court," Assistant
Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy David Garman said. "DOE
will enforce the 13 SEER standard. In the interest of giving consumers and
industry the regulatory certainty they need, it is time for the government
and for private parties to stop litigating, and start working towards
complying with the 13 SEER standard."

The Energy Department had promulgated a 12 SEER standard in 2002, but
earlier this year, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit ruled
that the department had done so improperly. The air conditioner
manufacturing industry had challenged the 13 SEER, which DOE had issued in
January 2001, but recently withdrew its challenge.

Media contacts: Joe Davis, 202/586-4940 Chris Kielich, 202/586-5806

Number: R-04-064

source:
http://www.doe.gov/engine/content.do...E=PRESSRELEASE
4apr04