Stefek Zaba

Gary wrote:
I've purchsed some projecting anchor bolts to enable me to put a heavy load
on a wall (TV to be precise).

As I'm a complete newbie at DIY I drilled the first 16mm hole this evening.
I then proceeded to put the anchor bolt into the hole. The problem I found
was that the thicker end of the anchor bolt would not go fully into the hole
and I ended up having to use a hammer to knock the bolt in. I'm certain this
can't be the right way. So was wondering if anyone could give me some advice
on how I'm supposed to install anchor bolts.

The critical bit of info you need to give us is what material you're
drilling these holes in. "Real" brick will be fine (if you're lucky
enough to avoid the mortar between the bricks!) and provided the plaster
isn't outrageously thick. Plasterboard would be an utter disaster.
Lightweight concrete blocks (v. often used as the inner skin of outer
walls on recently-built houses) won't hold an anchor bolt too well.

Since your TV (plasma screen? or big heavy 'normal' (cathode-ray tube))
is a serious weight, it's going to be a Good Idea to get whatever form
of anchoring is most suitable nice and secure!

Stefek