The parts arrived. I tested the 1 farad/RLY-635
circuit and it yields 4 minutes,45 seconds. + or -
measurement error. I connected the open points
of the relay in series with a 1.5 volt battery
driven analog clock and measured the time that
way. Did it 3 times. Don't know how accurate
the clock is, but it agrees with my wris****ch,
and precision was not important in any event.

I still have to test with the other relays -
I ordered & received RLY-639 and RLY-405 but haven't
tested them yet, or the opto idea. The 639 and 405
relays should not last nearly as long - they have
145 ohm coils, while the 635 has a 500 ohm coil.
I have the .1 farad caps, the opto and the relays,
so testing now is just a matter of time. I realise
the op has changed his request, so this is just
follow up, but I'll post the results when I can.

I tested with both the RLY-405 and the RLY-639 parts.
Both of them last for 4 minutes. I was surprised to see
them last so long, untl I looked at the datasheet. I tested
each 3 times - same results. Those relays have polarity
sensitive coils. They energize at a little over 2.5 (as measured)
volts as the voltage on the cap rises while it charges. They
stay energized until it drops to about .45 volts, per the datsheet,
which accounts for the longer than anticipated period.

After the relays, I set out to test the opto - and realized I
have no clue as to how to test it, without knowing what the
sense loop specs are. I would welcome some ideas! I
figure the sense loop must be very low current, because the OP
said it runs on a lithium battery. And he indicated he wanted
to keep battery replacement of any added battery to once.
every two years, which implies that the lithiums last that
long.

Ed