yourname

1/2" 10 TPI LH acme nut for 1.26
Morse taper drill sleeve with 1" O.D. and MT 2 inside, hardened and ground-
USA version 8.00 - Import Version 2.95
Bought 2 of the nuts and 1 each of the sleeves

Cheapie version- Used the Import piece and just welded the nut to the end-
time to set up, center and weld- 5 minutes
Cadillac version bored the USA sleeve and turned the nut down and pressed
in and drilled for a set screw
25 minutes
Milled the 1/8" slot in both units- another 10 minutes.

First, i agree, the guy has machines, shut up and make one. But:

How would you feel if you got this[your item] from south bend?

What no engraved depth markings? does the screw still push the tool out?

the ones in my catalog are only 4 inches long, a bit stumpy.

Conclusion A- for a guy fixing his old lathe he could do a quickie fix that
works fine for 5.00 in parts and 10 minutes time.

Not true, above

For a " restorer type" he
could duplicate the original for about 10.00 in parts and 1/2 hour of time.
Conclusion B- There is no reason that the South Bend parts people could not
make these things and sell them for 30.00 each, just by examining the
problem and finding a simple solution

Again not true, It would take a couple hours to blank one, starting with
a piece of ground stock[not free] and countless hours screwing with the
taper to get it right. unless you do tapers all the time and your taper
attachment is all dialed in. i twould take me a couple hours to clena
the crap off of mine
As I said, I would bid at least twice SB price to make one and make
money. It is NOT a high price. Problem is SB lathes aren't worth 300 bucks.

Conclusion C- Utilizing the time spent by everyone on this board yabbering
about the world economy we could have built 100 of these things.

Absolutely