Tom

Ahernwill wrote:

Actually, I also solved the problem in a similar fashion, but my posted
solution which follows was lost in the pandemonium created by the original
question.

PS: problem solved-
Took an imported Morse #2 sleeve which had an OD of 28 MM and turned it down
to 1", cut off the end and drilled it through to 27/64ths and borrowed a
1/2" LH acme tap and tapped it- aside from the drive to my friend's shop
for the tap, total time 20 minutes. The only thing left is to mill the slot
for the key- If I buy the lathe I will do it after measuring the key- if not
I will send the part to the owner with my compliments.

LOL
I'm reminded of a quote, from a famous cookery book, about
making rabbit stew, The first line read:
"First shoot your rabbit."

Tom