SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the market for a new HVAC system. I've noticed that the higher
SEER units jump dramatically in price going from 10 SEER to 12 to 14.
10-12 is an 85% increase. 12-14 is about %50 increase. I've also been
told that the 12+ SEERs have "variable" (valve can open/close to change
the pressure gradient) expansion valves. Lastly, these "variable"
expansion valves are prone to failure and frequent servicing.
Is this true

Goodman manufacturing maker of Amana and Goodman a/c products has been
lobbying the feds for years to reduce the 10 seer requirement. Sighting
among other things that people can not afford the newer higher efficiency
equipment. So far the feds have not moved from the 10 seer requirement.

You need to ask yourself some questions before shopping. How long do you
plan to stay in the home? Is noise an issue? What is your electric rate?
etc.

http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.asp
This web page will help you sort out some of the questions.
I was going to replace a 10 seer with a 12 seer and when the savings came
back at less than $400 a year I decided against spending $5400.00 for a new
a/c cause I am not planning on staying that long.

I have never heard of an variable valve a/c. Variable air speeds and 2 speed
and or 2 stage compressors but nothing in the valves. Maybe one of the guys
that is installing the newer equipment will know about them.
I like the variable speed air fans for humidity control. The one I have
works great for that.
I would get the best scroll compressor that I could afford.
Luck to ya with the decision