Larry Caldwell

In article ,
(Duane Bozarth) says...

...they can grow trees.

Nope...never were trees and if it were to go back to fully
unsettled, the ones here would be gone after the first grass fire, never
to be re-established owing to arid climate and repetitive fires.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Out here in the west, our trees don't burn. NOT!

The only reason the prairie wasn't wall to wall timber was that the
buffalo killed all the trees. You should see them around a tree
sometime. They hate trees. If they can't shove them over, they dig the
roots up or peel the bark off.

You should take a look at the oak savannah prevalent on much of the west
coast. It's drought adapted, and depends on frequent fires for its
survival. I also have trouble thinking of someplace that grows grass as
arid. It takes a lot of water to grow grass.

There is a mini-ecological crisis going on right now in the prairie
states, where trees are encroaching on any land that is not under the
plow. Do a google on "trees encroaching prairie" (without the quotes)
and see what pops up. It makes interesting reading. The buffalo
created the prairie. Without them, it will not survive.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc