Jeff Wisnia

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

BTW, I still prefer poured lead for securing iron posts into holes in
masonry. I've never had much luck keeping railings from wiggling when
I've used Rockite or similar "expanding cements" to set them in and the
randkids swing on 'em. When lead is used, you can peen it down with a
hammer and punch to close it up if it ever does get a little loose.
Plus, melting and pouring lead yourself has a nice retro feel to it. G

Jeff,

Aren't you in Mass.? I understood they will make you hire a state licensed
lead abatement contractor if you have lead solder in your rain gutters.G

Yep, in Winchester, Taxachusetts where it was +4 F this morning, colder
than I've woken up to in a long time.

No gutters on our home, so I don't have to worry about lead solder, but
it wouldn't suprise me if the follower's of Teddy Kennedy and their ilk
focused their attentions in the wrong places once again.

As for the 6 handrail posts secured with lead on my front steps, I trust
the inspectors have more important things to worry about. If they don't
I'll be happy to advise them about several.

When I got done fixing those wobbly handrail posts "for the last time"
with lead, I dragged out my long unused lead soldier molds and showed
youngest son what we used to do for fun long before video games were
even dreamed about -- and the liability nazis forced the A.C. Gilbert
company and others to stop producing lead casting kits for boys.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)