Joseph Meehan

Dan wrote:
Excellent points, especially about the airports. FWIW, the technology
may have improved since, but in the late 70's I worked at a place
(central Ohio) that had a very steep drive at a 90 degree angle right
off a busy 4 lane highway. They had an electric driveway heater which
never worked in the 2 winters I was there. It was a real bitch
getting up that drive after a snowfall, especially in the rear wheel
drive vehicles of the day.

Dan

I live in Hilliard Oh and worked in Columbus. The only two systems that
worked most of the time that I know about in Columbus was the State House
Parking Garage and the walk in front of the Rhodes Tower (State Office
Tower).

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Frankly if it were cheap and easy to melt snow this way and if
the hardware had a long life (if often does not) then you would see
it used a lot more than it is. Even in high density commercial
areas, you don't see a lot of it being used. Heck if it were cheap,
the airports would use it, they can afford it more than most home
owners.

The exceptions may be sloped drives where someone must be able
to inter or exit and they are not physically able to remove the snow
using conventionally and can afford both the original expense and
operational expense.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math