Nehmo Sergheyev

- Edwin Pawlowski -
I wonder how long it would take to get the surface from say, 5 degrees

to 33
degrees.

- Nehmo -
You only need to get the surface of the pavement above freezing while
there is freezing precipation. You would have a control system. The heat
wouldn't simply be left on at max for the night of a snowfall - unless
that were required.

Snowfree electrically conductive asphalt
http://217.172.161.215/ktml2/images/...ATALKFINAL.pdf
"The up heat time required to reach operating temperature is
approximately 2.5 hours based on a power input of 45 watts/f^2 and a
starting temperature of 25°F."

- Edwin Pawlowski -
If the numbers work:
Take a driveway that is 10' x 50'. That is 500 square feet times 50

watts
per sq.ft. = 25,000 watts.
25,000 watts = 25 kW * .12 per kW hour comes to $3 per hour. In a

modest
snowfall, it would run about 12 hours or $36. In a larger storm it

could
easily run 24 to 36 hours here. I'd also have to add at least a 200A
service to handle it.

- Nehmo -
We pay .081 US$/KWH here in Kansas City. 9 feet can accomodate any car.
And your using unlikely on times. But your estimated operating cost
would be acceptable to many - particularly if the road were critical.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *