The Natural Philosopher

MM wrote:

My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

MM

On a 3500 sq ft house, I have got through 2200 liters since August -
just about to refill. I reckon a modern well insulated 4-bed family
house of half the size probably would take half that or less. Usage
seems to be almost zero in 3 summer months, and twice as much in winter
a spring and autumn. Which means that 2200 liters is for me autumn and
half a winter.

Or anbout 3 months of winter usage. So I am cracking around 700 liters a
month in winter. It snot been a month since dec 21st., so I would
probably have used 500 liters in that time.

I would guess that you have used less than 250 liters.