MM

Default How much oil does heating boiler consume per hour?

My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

MM
John

"MM" wrote in message
My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

The data you give is meaningless. 9 radiators gives no indication at all of
how big, how many panels, what you consider to be a comfortable temperature
probably does not agree with someone else, what your hot water usage is, the
room sizes, whether you have a detached or a terraced house of bungalow etc
etc etc. So in short its impossible to give any form of sensible answer I'm
afraid.

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

You should have a cylinder thermostat which you can turn down but don't turn
it down too far or legionella might start to grow in your system:-(

James Salisbury

"MM" wrote in message
My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

MM

Post some details of your boiler, and what thermostats you can find round
the place.

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:31:57 +0000, MM wrote:

How much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume?

The documentation should have that information or it might be on the
rating plate. Our big cast iron lump has a spec that around 7l/hour
but it is big, 38kW output. Oil has about 10kW/l of energy so that
means about 50% effiency which for ordinary cast iron conventionaly
flued boiler is about right.

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost
empty) and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the
level has not gone down much at all since then.

Tiddly tank then. Filled ours up with 2000l on the 23rd Oct more than
half of that has gone, estimated reorder date for another 2000l is 2nd
Feb, that should last until October. Drafty old stone built house with
little insulation at 1400' on the North Pennines, so a little
different to the sub-tropical south. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Alec

The oil consumption is on page 8 here :
http://www.hrmboilers.co.uk/pdfs/wallstar.pdf
Rgds
Alec

The Natural Philosopher

MM wrote:

My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

MM

On a 3500 sq ft house, I have got through 2200 liters since August -
just about to refill. I reckon a modern well insulated 4-bed family
house of half the size probably would take half that or less. Usage
seems to be almost zero in 3 summer months, and twice as much in winter
a spring and autumn. Which means that 2200 liters is for me autumn and
half a winter.

Or anbout 3 months of winter usage. So I am cracking around 700 liters a
month in winter. It snot been a month since dec 21st., so I would
probably have used 500 liters in that time.

I would guess that you have used less than 250 liters.
MM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:07:53 -0000, "Alec"
wrote:

The oil consumption is on page 8 here :
http://www.hrmboilers.co.uk/pdfs/wallstar.pdf
Rgds
Alec

Thanks, Alec, for the the information I requested!

MM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
My new house is equipped, in the garage, with a wall-mounted oil-fired
central heating and hot water boiler. It is an "HRM Wallstar", approx
2' 6" high, 10" deep and 15" wide. There are 9 radiators in total. How
much in litres per hour is this boiler likely to consume? This to give
a comfortable temperature, but not hot, despite the current rather
cold climate (I hate hot houses).

I had 1,000 litres filled on 21st December (the tank was almost empty)
and was pleasantly suprised the other day to see that the level has
not gone down much at all since then. Obviously, the house is well
insulated. The hot water is, if anything, too hot.

MM
if you want to know how many US Gallons (for some reason its what they measure it in) per hour you use , you will need to know your pump pressure and your nozzle size (in US Gal)
I have a chart to work it all out for 35sec oil , but not 28sec oil , I dont think it would make to much difference though .

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:30:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

But when you're snowed in and the power goes down you'll be glad you
use LPG instead of electricity :-)

Most boilers still need electrickery to operate the gas valve and then
of course there is the circulation pump...

I also suspect that most people using LPG for space heating would be
using bulk LPG rather than bottled. How many litres are there in a
47kG cyclinder?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Malcolm Reeves

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:55:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:30:20 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

I also suspect that most people using LPG for space heating would be
using bulk LPG rather than bottled.

Not necessarily. The installation requirements for an LPG tank are
much stricter than bottles. Tanks have to be metres from the house or
underground. Bottles can be right next to the house. We have both in
my village, tanks in the middle of the lawn (3m from boundaries so you
need a big garden) and bottles next to house on a blank wall.

How many litres are there in a 47kG cyclinder?

I reckon it is 24150 l, so 0.11p/l for 47kg at 26.50. How does that
compare with bulk LPG?

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List
Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:29:02 +0000, Malcolm Reeves wrote:

How many litres are there in a 47kG cyclinder?

I reckon it is 24150 l,

eh that doesn't sound right. Our 2,500l oil tank is 6' x 4' x 4'...
Maybe you are thinking of the gas volume? Which isn't how you buy LPG
as gas volume is *far* too dependant on temperature and pressure.

1m^3 of propane weighs 583kg at -40C (near as damn it it's boiling
point) so 47kg occupies 0.08m^3 or 80l thats more like it.

so 0.11p/l for 47kg at 26.50. How does that compare with bulk LPG?

Or more correctly 33p/l which fits vaugely with autogas prices... I
think bulk (no road) LPG is nearer the 20p/l or less mark...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mike

wrote:

How many litres are there in a 47kG cyclinder?

I reckon it is 24150 l, so 0.11p/l for 47kg at 26.50. How does that
compare with bulk LPG?

I read that the propane density is 500kg per m^3, lpg is a mixture but
principally propane, that gives me 94 litres to the 47kg cylinder and
at GBP26.5 for 47kg about 27.5p/ltre, 4.3p/kWhr.

That's far more like it. Bulk was 23p/litre when we had it and when it when
up for the fourth time in a year I told them to come collect their tank and
put in oil.

Of course oil prices then went into overdrive as well but that's another
story :-)

Malcolm Reeves

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:42:43 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

How many litres are there in a 47kG cyclinder?

I reckon it is 24150 l, so 0.11p/l for 47kg at 26.50. How does that
compare with bulk LPG?

I read that the propane density is 500kg per m^3, lpg is a mixture but
principally propane, that gives me 94 litres to the 47kg cylinder and
at GBP26.5 for 47kg about 27.5p/ltre, 4.3p/kWhr.

That's far more like it. Bulk was 23p/litre when we had it and when it when
up for the fourth time in a year I told them to come collect their tank and
put in oil.

Oops. I seem to have propane as 0.5kg/m3 so I think I have missed a
1000 there somewhere. And I worked the numbers out wrong too! Doh!

Sounds like bottles are not that much more than bulk 23p/l vs 27.5p/l.

And we agree on the kWhr price.

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List

Heating design diagram (preliminary) John Aston UK diy 55 December 10th 04 09:31 PM
11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 08:32 AM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 03:20 AM
underfloor heating Eco Hometec hs boiler. mark UK diy 11 February 18th 04 06:08 PM
Another heating problem question! David Hearn UK diy 9 December 12th 03 09:29 PM