Dave Baker

Jeff Wisnia wrote in message

I am in the process of rearranging my shop layout....what shop storage
method do you like the best in your shop. For example....do you have
work benches with storage under it...shelves on the walls, old school
lockers, ect...I am thinking of building work benches with storage
under...and configure the benches with openings for welders, grinders,
bandsaws and other tools with designated storage and use areas. I have
been racking my brain trying to develop the best design, then thought
"why not ask what others like best in their shops..."

Thanks

Four drawer file cabinets help me out a lot. The drawers are strong and
will move easily with a lot of weight in them, and you can store a lot
of loose stuff on top of them too.

Yep, they are very handy and not expensive if you can find them at auctions
and closing down sales - they are the main storage down at the mill and
lathe end of my workshop for all the heavy stuff like chucks, milling tools,
drill sets, soft jaws. They also help keep things rust free in damp air
although not totally. Up at the engine assembly end it's mainly cheap
shelves from the local DIY superstore with stuff in cardboard and plastic
boxes on them and the hand tools are on racks made from fibreboard screwed
to the walls with nails banged in to hold the tools. A cheap version of
pegboard I suppose. The other 1/3 of the wallspace is occupied by benches
which primarily accumulate crap and cease to be of any value at all.

I think the general rule in workshops is that any flat area will accumulate
junk until it can no longer be used for its intended purpose and you then
either have to spend a few days sorting and boxing the junk or get a bigger
workshop.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (
www.pumaracing.co.uk)