Anthony

(GMasterman) wrote in
:

Just put Autocad 2001 on my computer and have learned that I am too
stupid to be able to operate it. Guess I need a book that will get be
started. The Autocad for Idiots book is way over my head here. Ya'll
have any suggestions on how a slow learning idiot can learn enough to
get started. Don't have time for real schooling in this, nor do I have
the time (or memory skills) or the trial and error method. Need
something aimed at the old man computor handicapped mindset. Thanks!

Lot of ney-sayers here about AutoCad. I learned it on my own, without
too much difficulty. If you understand mechanical drafting, you should
be ok.
I will agree, it is advanced and powerful software, and some basic
understanding is needed.
I preferred the icons as i learned, simply because they were easier for
me to remember. Now, if I should happen to be using AutoCad for something
(we use Inventor now), I normally will use keyboard shortcuts, because
it's just easier for me, and I can open up the workspace by getting rid
of the menu bars.
Setting it up to make it easier to use is what consumes more time than
anything. Some hints, from the option/display/etc menus:
Enable polar tracking, and set the angle to 45°. This option allows you
to draw a straight line with the mouse at all 8 angles (0,45,90,135,etc).
Enable the following snaps: Endpoint, midpoint, intersection,
perpendicular, tangent.
In mouse options, disable right click 'menu' and enable 'enter' and
'repeat last command'
The spacebar acts as an enter key within a command.
From the ‘View’ menu, turn UCS on, and ORIGIN on.
Read the command line at the bottom of the screen while within a command,
it will tell you what it expects from you, and what your other options
are. Options can be chosen with the capital letter shown in the option
command.
I keep the command line limited to 2 rows. You can always hit F2 to bring
up the command line box.
The ESC key is your friend, and one you will use often. It gets you out
of a command, or cancels a highlight.
For ease of viewing, change the background to black, and lines to white.
The white background will have you blind in a day.
You can always type in what dimensions you wish, say for the start and
endpoint of a line, using the format you have chosen.
To set your format, click format from the top menu, then 'Units', this
lets you choose what format you want for your drawing (0.0000, 0'-0”,
etc) [You MUST input dimensions in the unit you have chosen]
Open it up, play around with it. You can always use the ‘Help’ also.
There are some tutorials included.

--
Anthony

better idiots.