Tim Douglass

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:11:28 +1300, Peter Huebner
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Actually, I did stop after it was apparent that the bar and chain were
smoking. It wasn't apparent what was happening at first.

If the chain and bar were smoking, then that suggests to me that you
didn't have enough chain bar oil in the tank?!? Or maybe that the feeder
hole was blocked, or that the groove in the bar was full of sawdust.
Smoking should never occur blunt chain or sharp, if the chain
lubrication works as it should.

A dull chain will smoke like crazy if you keep trying to force it to
cut - in fact the more oil on the bar the more it will smoke. I've
conducted this experiment more than once in the past trying to use an
old bar and chain to cut some bridge timbers - lots of heat, lots of
smoke, not much cutting.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com