Edwin Pawlowski

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
There are several systems, but none lend themselves easily to a
retrofit. Electric cost is less than what you would expect. One estimate
has an average at US$ .80/square meter per snowstorm. My own figures
conservatively come to 4 cents per linear lane foot per hour of use.
You'll need about 50 watts per square foot. Also, of course, you'll have
the initial capital cost.

I wonder how long it would take to get the surface from say, 5 degrees to 33
degrees.

If the numbers work:
Take a driveway that is 10' x 50'. That is 500 square feet times 50 watts
per sq.ft. = 25,000 watts.
25,000 watts = 25 kW * .12 per kW hour comes to $3 per hour. In a modest
snowfall, it would run about 12 hours or $36. In a larger storm it could
easily run 24 to 36 hours here. I'd also have to add at least a 200A
service to handle it.