HorneTD

John wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, guys. My electrician won't do it if it
doesn't meet code, so I guess the 240V tap isn't an option. One last
question, please -- Would it violate code to add the new 120V outlet for the
washer to the existing 15A GFCI circuit in the bathroom? (As long as I
don't plug in a hair dryer at the same time) The washer is rated for a 15A
circuit with a max current of 12A and steady state of 8A. Anyway, thanks
again. --- John

"John" wrote in message

I'm installing a new washer and electric dryer in a the bathroom closet.

The

closet used to hold an old washer/dryer combo unit which only required one
240V 14-30R outlet. The new dryer can use this 240V outlet ok, but I need

to install a new 120V outlet adjacent to this for the washer. Does the
electrician have to run a new circuit back to the panel ($$$), or can he
just pick up the 120V from one side of the existing 240V outlet?

Thanks! ---

John

Yes it would violate the US NEC. Both Laundry Circuits and bathroom
basin receptacle outlets must have a separate circuit to supply them.
The nature of the two uses is such that overloading is nearly inevitable.
--
Tom H