stuart noble

Default Where to get damp proofing cream?

BigWallop wrote in message 0dWXa.3963$Pi5.36437094@news-
On a small scale I've actually seen thinned varnish being used to damp

proof
an out house, but as I say, this was on a small scale. The method was to
drill angled holes along the wall and pour in the varnish and thinners
mixture. The thinners evaporated and left behind a sticky gel when in the
open air, so I take it left the same sticky gel behind in the bricks when

it
cured. It has worked really well on the shed for the past 5 or 6 years
since it's been done and no dampness has returned to where it was really

bad
before the treatment.

Solvent based resins thicken or solidify when the solvent has evaporated.
Oil remains fluid and gets thinner as the temperature rises so it's the last
thing I'd consider for damp proofing. On a hot day with no moisture around
it would migrate to the bottom of the wall. Related products like grease and
wax would be a better bet, particularly some grades of microcrystalline wax
that melt at around 80 degC. Used to waterproof wooden pallets I believe.
I'm a great experimenter but there are some things you just know won't work.