Chad Bender

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:54:49 -0500, pharmdave wrote:

Question about one of his favorite finishes... tung, linseed, urethane
mixture... what ratios of these do you experienced people use (of those
of you who are partial to this mixture?) As a newbie, I am looking for
something that has a lot of beauty like tung oil that haas a protective
coating like the urethane. As some previous posters noted about Norm...
I'm not totally digging the thousand coats of urethane. Not only that,
as a newbie, I have found that the oil finishes are more forgiving of
air born dust than a urethane coating...

Have you tried Waterlox? Some people on this group talk a lot about it so
I used it on my last project (a pair of walnut endtables) and really liked
it. I wiped on 4 coats, lightly rubbed with steel wool, and finished with
paste wax. Granted, not as much protection as urethane, but I think more
than straight up tung oil, and easier to apply too. Each coat was dry (to
touch, not cured) in less than 12 hours.

Chad