Bob

I had a frozen rope that clogged my toilet which was left by a guest who
didn't tell me and the only way I got the toilet to flush it all down was to
use a coat hanger and break the darn thing into 3 pieces.

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:04:52 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

| Hi, my toilet is clogged up, most likely from too much toilet paper.

This
| has sometimes happened before, but leaving things sit overnight

and/or
| sticking the toilet brush handle into the toilet hole and pushing it

around
| usually fixed this. Sometimes the water filled to the top of the

bowl, and
| then I heard gurgling sounds, but then the pressure of the water

would
| always break through the clog.
|
| But this most recent time, nothing has worked.

When this happens at our house I first try pouring an entire bucket of
water down the toilet to increase the weight pressing on the clog. I
usually wait a few minutes before doing this to let the standing water
go down and to give the clog time to soften up a little.

If this doesn't work, and it usually does, I just use a wire coat
hanger. Clip the wire in half next to the hook, straighten the hanger
out, bend the hook on the end as narrow as needed, then slide it down
the hole and hook the crud back out. I usually bend a little handle in
the other end to make it easier to hold without twisting and turning.

Be careful you don't jam it in too hard or saw on it -- you can
scratch some toilets (ours is vitreous china so this doesn't happen
easily).

If this doesn't work, you can move on to the auger others have
suggested. I've never had to.

And the really nice thing is that when you are finished with the job,
just toss the "hook." You've got a closet full of replacements.

| For various reasons, I don't feel like calling my landlord, since she

makes
| a big ordeal of everything. I don't have a plunger, and have trouble

using
| them, since I have difficulty getting a complete seal to effectively

plunge.

| Is there any quick way to clear the clog? I tried sticking the

pick-up tube
| from a liquid soap bottle into the hole, and it is clear at least

until the
| part where the hole starts to curve upwards. The water fills the bowl

when
| flushed, then I hear gurgling sounds, but it does not flush. After

about 15
| minutes, the water goes down to normal level by itself
|
| What I would like is a homemade tool to stick down the hole and break

the
| clog. It has to be flexible, long, and stiff at the same time.

Perhaps a