Julie P.

Default Toilet is clogged...need homemade tool

Hi, my toilet is clogged up, most likely from too much toilet paper. This
has sometimes happened before, but leaving things sit overnight and/or
sticking the toilet brush handle into the toilet hole and pushing it around
usually fixed this. Sometimes the water filled to the top of the bowl, and
then I heard gurgling sounds, but then the pressure of the water would
always break through the clog.

But this most recent time, nothing has worked.

For various reasons, I don't feel like calling my landlord, since she makes
a big ordeal of everything. I don't have a plunger, and have trouble using
them, since I have difficulty getting a complete seal to effectively plunge.

Is there any quick way to clear the clog? I tried sticking the pick-up tube
from a liquid soap bottle into the hole, and it is clear at least until the
part where the hole starts to curve upwards. The water fills the bowl when
flushed, then I hear gurgling sounds, but it does not flush. After about 15
minutes, the water goes down to normal level by itself

What I would like is a homemade tool to stick down the hole and break the
clog. It has to be flexible, long, and stiff at the same time. Perhaps a
tape measure?

Thanks for any help!

Julie

G. Morgan

Subject: Toilet is clogged...need homemade tool
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Julie P. = wrote:

[...]

Julie,

1 Pour a bunch of bleach in it, wait overnight before flushing. If that wont
do it, you'll be glad for the next suggestion.

2 Grab a handful of plastic bags (about 4) you have from wal-mart or the
grocery store. Put your hand in one to protect it from the nastiness. Then,
other ones will serve as a plunger -- make sure you have enough to form a ball
big enough to cover the inlet.... Push it down with 3 or four forceful strokes
as to gewt a water hammer pushed through it (like a plunger would do)

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
Julie P.

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
Newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Julie,

1 Pour a bunch of bleach in it, wait overnight before flushing. If that
wont
do it, you'll be glad for the next suggestion.

2 Grab a handful of plastic bags (about 4) you have from wal-mart or the
grocery store. Put your hand in one to protect it from the nastiness.
Then,
other ones will serve as a plunger -- make sure you have enough to form a
ball
big enough to cover the inlet.... Push it down with 3 or four forceful
strokes
as to gewt a water hammer pushed through it (like a plunger would do)

Thanks Graham! I will give this a try and report back tomorrow!

J.

Bonnie Jean

"Julie P." wrote in message
Hi, my toilet is clogged up,
Is there any quick way to clear the clog?
Julie
_________________

Buy a toilet auger (snake) today. Should cost you about $25 at the very
most.

Bonnie

David Martel

Julie,

You've ruled out a plunger so let's buy some drain cleaner like Liquid
Plumber. If that doesn't work you can buy a small (15 ft.) plumber's snake
for under $10.

Dave M.

Alan

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:41:23 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Julie,

You've ruled out a plunger so let's buy some drain cleaner like Liquid
Plumber. If that doesn't work you can buy a small (15 ft.) plumber's snake
for under $10.

A "closet auger" would be better than a regular snake.
Greg G

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:04:52 -0500, "Julie P."
wrote:

[...]

Wow.

This is among the clearest cases of trying to reinvent the wheel that
I have seen here. There are a couple of simple, effective remedies to
a clogged toilet. I see no chance that your toilet is unusual enough
to need something else.

If you have trouble using a plunger, perhaps you haven't had the right
type, or need a little practice. It is very rare that I come across a
clog that can't be dislodged with a few strokes of a plumber's helper.
You need the kind that tapers (narrows) at the front end, so it fits
into the toilet better.

On those rare occasions when a plunger doesn't work, I use a toilet
auger. It's a special snake, with a curved pipe that helps you get it
into the toilet drain. It is, in fact, the "flexible, long, stiff"
device you decribe above. I believe I paid something like $15 for
mine.

You should definitely not use a regular plumbing snake in a toilet.
I'm told by plumbers that all manner of bad things can happen if you
do, including the snake becoming knotted up inside the toilet. At the
very least you'd need to be up to your forearms in the uh, STUFF,
that's in your bowl to use it.

A toilet auger is easy to use and safe for your toilet. I am not a
plumber, but I have never come across a clog that could not be removed
with a toilet auger.

Greg Guarino

Stormin Mormon

Since this is a recurring problem, go to the hardware store and ask for a
"closet auger". And ask the clerk to demonstrate how it works, it isn't
instantly obvious.

The junky one is about $8, the Ridgid one is about $25 and the good one is
$40.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Stormin Mormon

There is a snake called a "closet auger" which is designed for toilets. Two
$4 bottles of Drano would equal the $8 closet auger, and you can reuse the
auger.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Martel" wrote in message
k.net...
Julie,

You've ruled out a plunger so let's buy some drain cleaner like Liquid
Plumber. If that doesn't work you can buy a small (15 ft.) plumber's snake
for under $10.

Dave M.

Michael Baugh

The proper tool is a toilet auger, it starts out by being rotated
so that it can be manuvered through the bends, and its tip is
arranged to be able to either grab or tear up obstructions.
Less than 10 dollars at most any hardware store, get
instructions on its use at the same time.

Regarding the plunger, most people think that its name
means that the main function is to push stuff on down. But it
performs best when you get a good water-seal and have gently
pushed it to the furthest point, then a quick jerk back to break
up the 'log jam'. Often, when the obstruction has been broken up,
by pulling it out instead of stuffing it tighter, flushing can be
accomplished.

Julie P. wrote in message
[...]

Tom Miller

wrote:

| Hi, my toilet is clogged up, most likely from too much toilet paper. This
| has sometimes happened before, but leaving things sit overnight and/or
| sticking the toilet brush handle into the toilet hole and pushing it around
| usually fixed this. Sometimes the water filled to the top of the bowl, and
| then I heard gurgling sounds, but then the pressure of the water would
| always break through the clog.
|
| But this most recent time, nothing has worked.

When this happens at our house I first try pouring an entire bucket of
water down the toilet to increase the weight pressing on the clog. I
usually wait a few minutes before doing this to let the standing water
go down and to give the clog time to soften up a little.

If this doesn't work, and it usually does, I just use a wire coat
hanger. Clip the wire in half next to the hook, straighten the hanger
out, bend the hook on the end as narrow as needed, then slide it down
the hole and hook the crud back out. I usually bend a little handle in
the other end to make it easier to hold without twisting and turning.

Be careful you don't jam it in too hard or saw on it -- you can
scratch some toilets (ours is vitreous china so this doesn't happen
easily).

If this doesn't work, you can move on to the auger others have
suggested. I've never had to.

And the really nice thing is that when you are finished with the job,
just toss the "hook." You've got a closet full of replacements.

| For various reasons, I don't feel like calling my landlord, since she makes
| a big ordeal of everything. I don't have a plunger, and have trouble using
| them, since I have difficulty getting a complete seal to effectively plunge.
|
| Is there any quick way to clear the clog? I tried sticking the pick-up tube
| from a liquid soap bottle into the hole, and it is clear at least until the
| part where the hole starts to curve upwards. The water fills the bowl when
| flushed, then I hear gurgling sounds, but it does not flush. After about 15
| minutes, the water goes down to normal level by itself
|
| What I would like is a homemade tool to stick down the hole and break the
| clog. It has to be flexible, long, and stiff at the same time. Perhaps a
| tape measure?
|
| Thanks for any help!
|
| Julie

Bob

I had a frozen rope that clogged my toilet which was left by a guest who
didn't tell me and the only way I got the toilet to flush it all down was to
use a coat hanger and break the darn thing into 3 pieces.

ADC wrote:

don't put drain cleaner in a toilet--the potential for "blow back" is great.

In fact, don't put drain cleaner down anything.
--Goedjn

Phisherman

Buy a good plunger, the kind with a bulb and funnel-type shape on it.
Do not buy a small "sink" plunger. Get the water in the bowl about
half full, by bailing or adding water. Pump the plunger forcefully
and quickly 10 times. Add water. If the level remains the same, the
clog is gone. If not, repeat the process. If this fails, your clog is
a bit more serious and you'll need a toilet auger or call the landlord
(toilet clogs are not uncommon with landlords).

wrote:

[...]

frank-in-toronto

wrote:

Hi, my toilet is clogged up, most likely from too much toilet paper.

as a landlord myself, i feel your landlord's pain. please stop
doing whatever you're doing to plug things up. then she'll be
happy.

in the meantime, don't be scraping the porcelain. just go to
home depot and get some real good "Drain Opener".
as long as there is some water going thru, this'll open
it up. maybe ask your landlord to cough up 10 bucks
a month so you can put some down every week.

that's what i ask my tenants to do. as soon as the
sink or tub or toilet slow down, shoot some of the
drain opener down. and they let me know when
they run out.
....thehick

frank-in-toronto

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:38:20 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Bob = wrote:

I had a frozen rope that clogged my toilet which was left by a guest who
didn't tell me and the only way I got the toilet to flush it all down was to
use a coat hanger and break the darn thing into 3 pieces.

A frozen rope?

i think he means a friggen rope.
....thehick
Bob

I suggest to stop the occurrences of a frozen rope blocking your stool is to
advise the perpetrators who are guilty of this gassly thing is to tell them
who have this problem is to start eating a lot of All-Bran.

"frank-in-toronto" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:38:20 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Newsgroup: alt.home.repair
= Bob = wrote:

I had a frozen rope that clogged my toilet which was left by a guest who
didn't tell me and the only way I got the toilet to flush it all down

was to
use a coat hanger and break the darn thing into 3 pieces.

A frozen rope?

i think he means a friggen rope.
...thehick

ROBMURR

yeah, and buy a good plunger too.
Matt

What is this "toilet" device that you speak of?

John P Reber

ROBMURR wrote:
yeah, and buy a good plunger too.

Pour a can of coca cola in the toilet and let it sit for about an hour,
then flush.
Alan

On 20 Jan 2005 09:43:25 -0800, "Matt" wrote:

What is this "toilet" device that you speak of?

Something that apparently you don't use enough.
Matt

I thought you *plonked* me, Alan, remeber?
Now go away son, the grownups are talking.

Alan

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought you *plonked* me, Alan, remeber?
Now go away son, the grownups are talking.

Hey genius, it's a different Alan. Time for you to go away, those with a
brain are talking.

Matt

Aw Alan, I'm sorry I huwted you feewings.
Her, here's him's banky and him's bottle.

There, now everything is ok.